Sunday, November 30, 2008

6195: Verizon Wireless Blows It Again…?


Given the seemingly annual tragedies surrounding Black Friday and holiday shoppers rioting for limited bargain items, it’s worth noting that a new Verizon Wireless commercial appears to tap into the negative aspects of gift-hunting—all for cheap laughs. Can’t find an online posting of the spot, but will provide a link if it becomes available.

In the commercial, two girlfriends are discussing the possibility of going to the Verizon Wireless store and finding only one particular phone model left for sale. To avoid a potential showdown, one woman uses a blowgun to shoot a poison dart into her pal’s neck. Ha-ha. So much more sophisticated than trampling or dueling with firearms.

Verizon Wireless has generated recent controversies with messages offensive to fathers and pit bull fans. Guess the company wants to extend the insensitive traditions. Maybe it’s time to examine Verizon’s advertising agency network.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally agree with you! I was looking for a place to go share my concern over the ad and found your posting. The ad made me feel weird as it was a VERY VERY bad attempt at humor. Guess violence is ok in Verizon's eyes!

Anonymous said...

I also, totally agree with you all! This commercial is ridiculous and offensive. I couldn't believe my eyes to see such thing over a cell phone.

This is very bad taste on someone's part at Verizon!

Anonymous said...

This commerical is utterly horrifying! I cannot believe anyone at Verizon would think this was funny.

I am still sitting here shaking my head at this commercial.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I loved the commercial. I laughed so hard! I googled to see what others were saying because I think it has been pulled..shame

HighJive said...

Don't think it was pulled. It appeared to be for a sale that ended on Monday.