Monday, May 07, 2007

Essay 2095


Baring unbearable souls in a MultiCultClassics Monologue…

• Naomi Campbell penned a diary during her community service sentence, and now the public will be able to share her trash-collecting trials and tribulations. “I find solace in sweeping,” revealed the temperamental supermodel. “I have no other responsibility. I have no phone. I have the time to think. Just have, you know, peace. … What I came to realize is that I had to surrender. … I’m such a controlling person, but I had to just let go and let something higher than me be in control of my destiny. You have to let yourself become vulnerable again. … Some people can handle a drink or a line of cocaine, but I’ve finally come to realize that, for me, it’s all or nothing — and it has to be nothing. And my life has changed since.” Somebody throw a cell phone at the woman.

• A new study showed 20 percent of toddlers under the age of 3 have a TV in their bedrooms. Plus, 43 percent of kids between the ages of 3 and 4 have TVs. “A lot of these parents are kind of checking out,” said the study’s co-author, a professor of human development and family sciences at the University of Texas at Austin. “It’s not really neglect, it’s more like absentee parenting.” Or maybe the parents are too busy watching the TVs in their own bedrooms.

1 comment:

RFB said...

Go easy on Naomi. I can relate to the peace of manual labor.

Put a man behind a mower for eight hours. Or put a trimmer in his hands and have him hunched over staring at the ground as he walks. He has time to think. He has time to contemplate any number of subjects while finding the art and honor in what he does for a living.