Thursday, January 25, 2007

Essay 1617


Partying hard with a MultiCultClassics Monologue…

• Students at Tarleton State University in Dallas sparked controversy by staging a Martin Luther King Jr. Day party, complete with fried chicken, malt liquor and gangsta gear. Online event photos displayed students in Afro wigs and gold teeth mocking step shows. Another photo showed a student decked out like Aunt Jemima. “I am personally insulted by these photographs and am disappointed that Tarleton students have demonstrated such insensitivity,” said the university’s president. Somebody better warn him that we’re about a week away from Black History Month.

• “Grey’s Anatomy” star Isaiah Washington signed up for a counseling program (see Essay 1612). The actor released a statement to announce, “With the support of my family and friends, I have begun counseling. I regard this as a necessary step toward understanding why I did what I did and making sure it never happens again. I appreciate the fact that I have been given this opportunity and I remain committed to transforming my negative actions into positive results, personally and professionally.” Perhaps his first counseling assignment could be to organize a cast party to celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

• Ford Motor Company lost $5.8 billion in 4Q, the worst loss in its history. “We began aggressive actions in 2006 to restructure our automotive business so we can operate profitably at lower volumes with a product mix that better reflects consumer demand for smaller, more fuel-efficient vehicles,” said CEO Alan Mulally. “We fully recognize our business reality and are dealing with it. We have a plan and are on track to deliver.” Being “on track” includes the biggest loss in history? Now that’s a bold move.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And lemmee guess, the students are going to sue Borat for making them look racist or have support groups from Duke claim they were set up.

Oh-k. Whatever.